Visit our Online Flea Market!

December 24, 2013



For almost a month I've been posting fun and interesting Christmas crafts and decorating ideas.  In all of the hustle and bustle of last minute holiday preparations it's easy to forget that what we're actually creating are memories.

One of my favorite Christmas memories involves a simple gift I gave to our youngest daughter-in-law, Kelli.  Her parents divorced when she was very young and her mother's job relocated them halfway across the country.  Due to the great distance apart, visits with her father were rare.  Sadly, he passed away while she was in college and her few memories of time spent with him are precious.

One day Kelli was reminiscing about her father and I asked what her favorite memory was of him.  She readily told me of a particular visit they shared when she was 5 or 6 years old.  On that rainy afternoon they went to a matinee to see a classic animated movie.  

Her recollection of the movie was vague, she couldn't even recall the title of the film.  Mostly Kelli remembered how wonderful it was to have her father all to herself.  After a few questions I thought I had guessed the name of the movie but I didn't say anything, I just listened.

That Christmas we were gathered around the tree, taking turns opening presents.  When it was Kelli's turn she picked up a small gift, shook it and tried to guess what was inside.

When she opened the package she immediately burst into tears - in the box was a copy of The Secret of Nimh, the movie she had seen with her father on that rainy afternoon long ago.  Memories came flooding back in a torrent of joyful tears.

Back then lesser-known older movies were just starting to be distributed on cds.  I had spent over a month tracking down a copy and was eager to see her reaction.  


That weekend Kelli watched the movie over and over with our 3 month old grandson and cried, enjoying the wonderful memories it brought back.

The happiness Kelli received from that movie is a perfect example that the joy a gift brings in no way reflects the amount it costs.  

This is one of my favorite Christmas memories that's even more special because I share it with someone I love.

7 comments:

  1. This is so true. What a sweet thing you did for Kelli. That brings more joy than if you had received the most expensive gift. Merry Christmas! I hope your day is wonderful and filled with love and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I hope you have a wonderful holiday. -- Jan

      Delete
  2. What a sweet post. You are a very nice mother in law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so blessed to have exceptional daughters-in-law. They have raised brilliant grandchildren - ha! Seriously, they're amazing girls and I love them dearly. -- Jan

      Delete
  3. So sweet and sentimental. It will not be long before the three month old will be able to understand the joys of simplicity. Merry Christmas to you. I hope that all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your dear comment. I hope that you and your family, too, enjoy the love and blessings of the holiday. Merry Christmas, Jan

      Delete