Today's post is quite self-indulgent so please bear with me. A few weeks ago, Darci, at Harlow's Exclusive, nominated me for the Liebster Award! I was so surprised and honored - yes, giddy that someone liked my blog enough to bestow an honor on it.
Although I technically made a feeble, one-time attempt at blogging in 2009, today
is the One Year Anniversary of fleaChic! Like most things in life, blogging is a discipline and requires time, patience, and practice. I've enjoyed the challenges and 'mind travel' that blogging allows and I have used this site as an outlet for my creative energies.
Okay, back to the Liebster Award. As I understand them, the rules are as follows:
o post 11 facts about myself
o answer the 11 questions that my nominator (Darci) asked
o I get to nominate 11 bloggers with under 200 followers, let them know of the award and ask them 11 questions which they will answer on their blogs
11 Facts about Me in random order:
1. I have been a college student off and on my entire adult life.
2. I am an accomplished cross-stitcher and have created and gifted over 50 samplers to family and friends.
3. Alexandra Ripley, author of Scarlett, the sequel to Gone With The Wind, chose one of my short stories as the winner of a writing contest sponsored by The Tennessean newspaper several years ago. My story was published in the paper and, with a readership at that time of over 500,000 subscribers, I felt quite honored and made a copy of the prize winning check before cashing it!
4. Although I lean toward conservatism, I am politically Independent and feel that it's my duty to educate myself on candidates, their platforms, voting records, and values, then make my own decision based on those facts. No one party has all the answers.
5. I rarely get mad. Being a Middle Child, I learned to be tolerant and how to compromise.
6. I have a serving spirit and am happiest when I am of use to others.
7. I am an insomniac. Rarely do I get over 6 hours sleep a night and, some nights, don't sleep at all.
8. I hate to be idle (see #6!) Watching television without stitching, knitting, or crocheting is torture to me.
9. I collect recipes but hardly ever cook. My husband, Bob, is the chef in the family.
10. I am a chocolaholic. Seriously. Even though I do not smoke, to quote Kirstie Alley, "If there was a chocolate cigarette, I'd smoke it."
11. My family is everything to me.
Are you bored, yet?! Now, for the 11 questions that Darci posed:
1. What made me start blogging? A love of writing and the need to try something new and challenging.
2. How do I spend my spare time? Blogging! Seriously, if I can't be with family I enjoy stitching, reading, and, of course, flea marketing-ing.
3. Favorite Food? Chili dogs!
4. If you could do anything and money was not an issue, what would you do? Travel
5. Where would you like to travel to? Scotland - having recently starting researching my family, I discovered that we immigrated to America in the early 18th Century from Wigtown, Scotland.
6. What's your favorite season? Fall
7. Are you afraid of anything? Yes - spiders, snakes, and generally anything creepy and that can bite me.
8. What can't you live without? Besides my family that would be my Cairn terriers, Boswell and Archie.
9. Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi but occasionally Dr. Pepper
10. What is your favorite color combination? Navy, yellow, and white. (Not very Fall-ish!)
11. Any pet peeves? Archie and Boswell? ha, ha Actually, this is a HUGE peeve: narrow-minded people who are so stridently committed to an ideology or cause that they refuse to listen or consider others' opinions.
Now I am so proud to present to you my chosen nominees to receive the Liebster Award in alphabetical order:
Please visit these sites and look for their answers to my 11 questions:
1. Following Darci's lead, I'm also asking, "Why did you start blogging?"
2. Other than your parents, who has had the single, most positive influence in your life?
3. When your back is to the wall, who do you call?
4. Favorite vacation destination?
5. What's the worst decorating-related purchase you've ever made?
6. Who is your favorite author?
7. Are you a dog person or cat person?
8. Best childhood memory?
9. What is your favorite holiday?
10. How far away do you live from where you were born?
11. What is your favorite post that you've ever made on your blog?
Friends, thank you so much for sticking with me this past year. It's been a journey of growth and awareness and I appreciate that you've been along for the ride. What does the future hold for fleaChic? More bossy, opinionated posts, of course!
Have a safe and happy Labor Day weekend.